Cinco de Mayo came and went without me even having a margarita, but the holiday inspired me to make a piñata with the kids.
1. Cover a balloon in newspaper strips dipped in a flour/water/school glue mixture, leaving a hole in the top (near the balloon tie) big enough to put prizes in later. Make sure to cover it completely. The more layers, the more whacks it will take.
2. Let it dry. This takes days.
3. Pop the balloon and remove the balloon remnants.
4. Put prizes inside.
5. Clear tape a layer of dry paper to cover the hole. Then cover the hole with duct tape.
6. Duct tape a long cord to the piñata. The cord needs to be strong and well attached.
7. Spray paint the whole thing, then let children paint designs on it.